Everybody's heard the old question, "If you were stranded on a desert island, what would you bring along?" But how many of us have taken a moment to ask the much more important question, "If the airline lost my luggage, where would I buy new products?"
I was inspired to begin this segment on my blog because of something Sharon Gault said at The Makeup Show. She was telling us about one time when she was at a photo shoot and her luggage was delayed, so she didn't have her makeup kit--she had to go to Target at the last minute and buy everything she needed for the shoot. She was telling us this as a makeup artist because she wanted to drive home the point that makeup artists can't get so attached to our favorite artistry and luxury brands that we are totally unfamiliar with the other mass market products that are out there.
This week, we're off to Vermont, where we'll be picking up some loot for you at the decidedly un-chic Vermont Country Store--home of the Tired Old Ass Soak. Relax--even in the most granola of states, a little bit of glamour can be found if you just know where to look (or you're shopping with me, naturally! ;))
- Tired Old Ass Soak -- this mineral bath is no joke! Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Vetiver essential oils will make your room at the Holiday Inn Express smell like a spa.
- Because you know I'm obsessed with good-smelling hair, the original 70's clasic Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific would be a must-have for me!
- Fragrance: Caron's Nuit de Noel in fall or winter, Bellodgia in summer, and Jean Patou's Joy for any black tie event!
- Marutake Rice Powder to stand in for my can't live without it MUFE HD Powder!
- Original Indian Earth Powder -- a legendary multitasker, this concentrated bronzing pigment would be perfect for anywhere on the face. (A great stand in for my NARS multiple!)
- Cake Mascara -- in a pinch, this could also double as a liquid liner
- Joey's Chiseled Cheeks Plumping Gel Blush -- a great complexion faker; the perfect replacement for my Benefit Benetint.
- Pssst Instant Spray Shampoo -- awesome for travel (I have it!), and a handy stand in for volumizing spray as well. Makes a great preparatory step for updos!
- Smith's Rosebud Salve -- they also carry this at Sephora; makes lips look naturally full, and is super moisturizing (great for cuticles and other rough spots, too). Mix it with some Indian Earth Powder and you've got your own custom moisturizing lipgloss!
- Sweet Almond Oil -- touted as being Jackie O's beauty secret, this one could stand in for a face and body moisturizer, as well as a deep hair conditioner; mix it with some Indian Earth powder and it will stand in for your Nars Body Glow!