Thursday, July 3, 2008

Personal Shopper: Blue Mercury


This week, I'll be your personal shopper at Blue Mercury, a modern apothecary found in many major US cities.  I was introduced to Blue Mercury by my dear friend DJ--the ultimate product divo--who took me to the store in DC's Adams Morgan.  My first product was Bliss' no-fat moisturizer in the yellow bottle (they don't make it anymore! sad! It was lemony, fresh, and cooling!), and I was hooked for life.  When my husband and I lived in Philly, we used to walk by the Blue Mercury on Walnut Street and he would take my hand and hold it.  I always thought it was so romantic, until I finally figured out that he was steering me away from my favorite spot!  Here are some of my Blue Mercury must-haves:

- Tocca Agadir candle : this is the sexiest home fragrance I have ever found.  Use with caution; your next hookup will be utterly seduced (and hooked!). 

-  Dermalogica Ultra Rich Body Cream : a huge bottle with an easy pump that is unscented and totally jammed with every effective anti-aging ingredient known to man.  Hyaluronic, Evening Primrose, and Linoleic Acid are just the beginning!  I've heard of plastic surgeons who insist their patients use this lotion for a month prior to surgery to ensure optimal results.  For even better results, use alternately with Dermalogica's Body Hydrating Cream, which chemically exfoliates with hydroxy acids.

- Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel : I learned about this little gem from a friend who performed at clubs in full theatrical makeup and costume.  I pinned him down for product recommendations because I just had to know how he got all that makeup off night after night while maintaining such a smooth and flawless complexion.  It was this little $12 beauty that was doing the trick--it takes off eye makeup and all, while gently exfoliating with enzymes.

- Phyto Phytocitrus Mask : this conditioner, used immediately after coloring, will seal in your color and smooth out the hair shaft.  It's incredible--I've used it before, and would definitely purchase it again.

- L'Artisan Premier Figuier : in Italian hotels, unisex bath products are scented with fig.  This fragrance brings me straight back to my honeymoon, soaking in a marble tub at the Hotel Majestic Roma and luxuriating in my shower at the Capri Tiberio Palace .  It's amazingly fresh and dewy, but warm and sensual at the same time.  

- Comptoir Sud Pacifique Mora Bella, Matin Calin, and Aloha Tiare : my three go-to summer scents that I shouldn't even be talking about because I don't want everybody else to wind up wearing them!  Any one of these will ensure that you don't smell like anybody else you know--and everyone is going to be wondering what you are wearing.  

- T. LeClerc Pressed Powder in Cannelle and Soleil : always looks radiant, mattifies reliably, and photographs beautifully.  Flawless when applied with an enormous, oversized kabuki brush!

- Molton Brown Blu Maquis hand wash : this smells so good to me that I have totally broken down and used it as a body wash before! (I know!)  The funny thing is that it is of such high quality, and so moisturizing, that even as a body wash, this little guy by far surpassed all cheap drugstore or BBW body washes by a mile.

- Anthony Logistics Sea Salt Scrub : OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! Get in the tub with your man and work it out!  Minty, citrusy, salty, beachy, natural, yummy, delicious.  I always bring this on vacation with me and my hubby for a spa-like experience in the hotel room.

- Terax Original Crema Conditioner : it's a classic for a reason!  Unscented and super-softening.  Like, so softening that if you don't need softening you shouldn't buy it.  Also works just great on my doggies when I give them a bath at home!  (Because it's verrry lightly scented, it doesn't bother their little noses).

No comments: